If you have headlights that are getting a little old or have gotten very dirty, there’s no reason to throw them out and buy new ones. Instead, use a good method to get it cleaned.
If you are one of those who have glass cleaners and wondered if you can use it on your vehicle headlights, well, you can. In the rest of this post, you will find out more about cleaning your headlights with glass cleaners, if it’s safe to use it on your headlights and also answers to related questions.
What are glass cleaners?
Glass cleaners are household cleaning products that are typically “spray and wipe” and used to clean and wash glasses or glass surfaces.
It is a cleaning product designed for cleaning surfaces made of glass, but not designed for the purpose of cleaning optical materials like eyeglasses or headlights.
Is Glass cleaner the best way to clean headlights?
While cleaning your headlights with a glass cleaner may sound quick and easy, it’s not the best way to clean your headlights.
Glass cleaner can be abrasive, which means it can scratch your car’s glass surfaces. And because it’s not specifically designed to remove oxidation or dirt, cleaning with glass cleaner can leave streaks on the surface of your headlights that look like you’ve been washing them in soap!
Glass cleaners also don’t do a good job of removing residue from dirt or grime — even if they do get into cracks where water wouldn’t reach during regular washing. Instead of using this kind of product as part of your routine maintenance regimen for your headlights, opt for some specialized products designed specifically for cleaning headlights, like this affordable and effective headlight cleaning kit.
What is a better alternative to glass cleaners?
Cleaning your headlights with vinegar is an effective and safe method. You can use vinegar to clean your headlights as vinegar is an effective and safe way to get rid of dirt, grime and debris that may be on the lenses of your headlights. It’s also a great way to remove fingerprints and other marks from glass surfaces.
How to use vinegar to clean headlights:
- Fill a bowl with warm water (about 100 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Add one cup of white distilled vinegar into the bowl
- Apply the vinegar on the headlights and let it sit for several minutes.
Vinegar is a natural cleaner and acid. It is mild enough to use on glass, so you don’t need to worry about it damaging the headlights. Vinegar also contains no harmful chemicals or solvents, making it an environmentally friendly option for cleaning your car’s headlight lenses. The best part? Vinegar is cheap!
Vinegar is a safe and effective way to clean your headlights. It’s also a great alternative to glass cleaner if you’re looking for something that won’t scratch the surface of your lenses or fog up during use.
Now that you know what vinegar can do for your car’s headlights (and why it might be worth using), let’s continue with step-by-step instructions for applying this powerful solution to your vehicle’s lights:
- Rinse off any leftover vinegar with water to reveal shiny, clean headlights, then wipe down the surface of your car with a soft cloth to remove any excess residue from the cleaning solution.
- Use plain water on an old rag (or newspaper) and rinse off any remaining bits from inside the headlight housing using this method until they’re completely clean—you can use this same method if you need to remove dirt, grime or grease from other parts of your car as well!
Keep your headlights looking new always
Keep these in mind when you want to keep your headlights looking new always:
- Don’t use glass cleaner on your headlights. Instead, try vinegar, other safe cleaners or get the headlights cleaning kit that contains all that you need.
- Glass cleaner is a great option for removing dirt and grime from hard surfaces, but it’s not recommended for headlights because it can cause the lights to fog up or even crack if you’re not careful. Vinegar is a safer alternative that does the same job as glass cleaner but doesn’t have any of its negative side effects—and it costs less too! Vinegar works just as well at cleaning headlights as some other products out there: it’ll remove dirt and make them look brand new again without damaging them in any way (or making them look like something was spilled on them).
Remember, headlight cleaning is a regular maintenance task that should be done regularly. If you don’t clean them often enough, the road dirt and grime will start to build up on your headlights which will make them less effective at night time or in bad weather driving conditions. Luckily there are many different methods you can use including our favorite vinegar solution which we talked about above!
Hi, just letting you know that all products recommended here have been used by me, or are properly researched to ensure they are the best you are getting without bias.
I am also an affiliate for certain Amazon products and this means that some links here are affiliate links. If you purchase an item through any of them, I MAY earn a commission at no extra cost on you.